Exporting Waste Abroad
The Supreme Council for the Environment grants the necessary licenses for the export of waste outside the Kingdom of Bahrain for the purposes of treatment, recycling or use, and this is one of the solutions adopted by the Waste Management Department. This process is carried out in accordance with the provisions of the Basel Convention on the Control of Trans-boundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, ratified by the Kingdom in 1992.
In this case, the procedures are as follows:
- Sending a formal letter addressed to His Excellency Chief Executive Officer of the Supreme Council for the Environment.
- Providing an official document from the company that is going to receive the waste shipment in the country of destination.
- Providing an official contract with the company which is going to receive the waste.
- Filling in the “Notification Documents for the Control of Trans-boundary Movement of Hazardous Waste” form. (Download File)
The Supreme Council for the Environment then addresses the countries of import, and transit (if any). After receiving the formal approval from the competent authorities in the country of import, the applicant is requested to take the following actions:
- Filling in the “Movement Documents for the Control of Trans-boundary movement of Hazardous waste. (Download File)
- Providing a bank guarantee that is released after the delivery of the waste to the company in the country of import, and submitting a proof of their management of the waste in an environmentally safe way.
- Insurance for the waste shipment.